Assistant Market Manager Position
As a vital part of the local economy, the mission of Prescott Farmers Market is to support and expand local agriculture, cultivate a healthy community and increase access to affordable local foods.
Prescott Farmers Market (PFM) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, operating a year-round market on Saturdays. Only farmers that grow their own produce within Arizona, with preference given to Yavapai County growers, and local artisans that include locally grown ingredients in their goods, are eligible to sell at the market. By maintaining these strict standards, PFM supports local agriculture by providing a market through which small-scale producers can sell their goods and community members can access fresh, local foods.
PFM seeks an Assistant Market Manager to support PFM’s mission and assist the Market Manager with the operations of the Saturday market. Market staff must be available on Saturdays: 5:30am – 2:00pm (April-October) and 7:30am – 3:00pm (November-March).
The Assistant Market Manager is the Market Manager’s “right-hand” person. They assist with most of the necessary tasks that contribute to a successful farmers market event each Saturday morning. This is a 20-25 hour/week position. Market days in the summer can be 10-hour work days. The remaining tasks occur over one or two week days, and these include “the count” (where staff count currency from the market and reconcile receipts), team meetings, tent repairs, purchasing market materials, and conducting periodic farm/ranch inspections. This position is physically demanding, requires a willingness to engage with the community, and can be extremely gratifying. It can also offer a uniquely flexible schedule (except for fixed recurring events like the market and staff meetings) when availability and needs are effectively communicated to the rest of the team, and the necessary tasks are still completed.
GENERAL TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Set up and Breakdown: Arrive at market 2 hours before opening to assist Market Managers with market setup on Saturdays. This includes signs, tables, chairs and up to 16 tents and 48 25lb weights. Stay at market through closing and then break down the market.
- Information Booth: Assist customers at the information booth, providing information, selling merchandise and helping run a variety of transactions.
- Community-Building: Develop and maintain good working relationships with other market staff, volunteers, vendors, customers and community members.
- Office work: Organize, fix and clean market supplies and equipment as necessary during the week. Inventory and restock merchandise. Reconcile market sales with Market Manager, maintain detailed records. Attend weekly team meetings.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds repeatedly
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal: in person, over the phone, email, text
- Able to count (add/subtract) efficiently and accurately between multiple types of currency (cash, tokens, various coupons)
- General technical skills with common workplace tools such as Google Suite, Microsoft Office
- Commitment to PFM’s mission with a strong equity and social justice lens
- Attention to details and strong aptitude for organization and record-keeping
- Ability to take initiative when something needs to be done
- Bachelor’s degree
- Agricultural/gardening experience
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- Commitment to sustainability and environmental stewardship
This position requires the ability to communicate effectively with a variety of people, including customers, vendors, volunteers, community partners, etc. The Assistant Market Manager must be reliable, self-motivated and have good communication and customer service skills. The ideal candidate will be an enthusiastic advocate of the local food movement. The position requires the ability to work independently as well as collaborate and communicate with a team. PFM is a small non-profit organization where a “pitch-in” spirit is valued. Assistance on additional projects or tasks may be requested in addition to normal responsibilities.
Please send a résumé and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Assistant Market Manager Position.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the right candidate is selected.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Wage: $19.00-$21.00/hour depending on experience
The position is based in Prescott, Arizona. PFM employees accrue up to 80 hours of paid time off (PTO) annually and three paid holidays. PFM matches up to 3% of employees’ contributions to their SIMPLE IRA account.
Prescott Farmers Market is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its employment decisions. PFM is committed to equity and inclusiveness and values diversity in experience, ability, race, ethnicity, gender and sexual identities. People of Color, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ+ candidates are encouraged to apply.
Prescott Farmers Market is a fragrance-free, drug-free & tobacco-free work environment.