Join our Team: Market Events Coordinator
ABOUT PRESCOTT FARMERS MARKET
As a vital part of the economy, the mission of Prescott Farmers Market is to support and expand local agriculture, cultivate a healthy community and increase access to affordable local food. PFM operates a year-round market with over 60 vendors at the height of the summer season. Thousands of customers visit our market each week for fresh produce, meats, eggs, and locally crafted foods grown and prepared in Yavapai County. The market is producer-only, meaning that vendors must grow or raise everything they sell, or in the instance of processed foods and crafts, must use a percentage of AZ-grown ingredients in every product. Preference is given to farmers and ranchers operating within Yavapai County. By maintaining these strict standards, PFM supports local agriculture by providing a market through which small-scale farmers can sell their goods and make a livable wage.
PFM participates in food security programs like the Farmers Market Nutrition Program for WIC families and low income seniors. We double SNAP benefits for fresh produce through Double Up Food Bucks AZ, ensuring everyone can afford fresh produce. In addition to hosting the Saturday market, PFM serves the Prescott area through creative community programs. Feed Your Neighbors provides fresh local food to people in need; the Prescott Community Compost Project collects food scraps from households and, utilizing volunteers, turns it into nutrient rich compost; the Prescott Seed Library provides free seeds to the community through a partnership with the Prescott Public Library. NoCo Community Kitchen (opening spring 2023) provides commissary kitchen space to local small food entrepreneurs.
We are a small nonprofit organization with less than 10 employees with a culture of collaboration, integrity, respect, community and equity. Our team shares the goal of making our community a vibrant, sustainable, welcoming place for everyone.
PFM uses special events as tools to educate the public about local food, to connect with the community and to add to the market experience and ambiance. Examples include seed exchanges, where the public is invited to donate, take home and/or exchange seeds; and monthly Chef in Action demonstrations where local chefs provide small bites featuring seasonal produce available at the market. We are seeking a professional individual with well-developed interpersonal skills to support market staff with general operations as well as plan and implement special events at the Saturday market.
Generally, the Market Events Coordinator is responsible for the following activities:
- Set up and Breakdown: Arrive at market 2 hours before opening to assist Market Managers with market set up on Saturdays. Stays at market though closing and then breaks down the information booth.
- Information Booth: Assists customers at the information booth, providing information, selling merchandise and helping run a variety of transactions.
- Community-Building: Develops and maintains good working relationships with other market staff, volunteers, vendors, customers and community members.
- Office work: Organize, fix and clean market supplies and equipment as necessary during the week. Reconcile market sales with Market Manager.
- Lead the development, coordination and sponsorship of special events – including quarterly seed exchanges, monthly Chef in Action tastings, kids’ craft booth, cookbook exchange, Mother’s Day Photo Booth and other events as necessary.
- Work with Volunteer Coordinator to staff events.
- Coordinate the monthly Chef in Action events; recruits and schedules chefs, communicates market guidelines and expectations and assists with day-of setup and breakdown.
- Lead recruitment effort for educational, food-focused mini-events at the “Education Booth” by utilizing existing partnerships and developing new opportunities for collaboration.
- Assist PFM staff with planning and coordinating the annual Farm to Table Dinner fundraiser.
OUTREACH AND MARKETING
- Work with staff and our partners to promote the market through social media, contributing to biweekly email newsletters and promotion throughout the community.
- Educate customers about Prescott Farmers Market’s mission and services.
- 2 years of experience organizing and/or managing events, community organizing and/or farmers market management
- Excellent interpersonal skills including a confident attitude, clear communication, diplomacy skills and problem-solving capabilities
- Ability to build relationships with people of different backgrounds
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal: in person, over the phone, email, text
- Basic math and advanced money-handling skills
- General technical skills with common workplace tools such as Google Suite, Microsoft Office
- Commitment to PFM’s mission with a strong equity and social justice lens
- Attention to details and strong aptitude for organization and recordkeeping
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
- Ability to take initiative when something needs to be done
- Inclination to ask questions
- Bachelor’s degree
- Agricultural/gardening experience
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- Commitment to sustainability and environmental stewardship
This position requires the ability to communicate effectively with a variety of people, including customers, vendors, volunteers, community partners, etc. The Market Events Coordinator must be reliable, self-motivated and have good communication and customer service skills. The ideal candidate will be an enthusiastic advocate of the local food movement. The Market Events Coordinator must be available during market hours throughout the season, be willing and able to work outside in all weather conditions and be able to safely lift and carry at least 50 pounds. The position requires the ability to work independently as well as collaborate and communicate with a team. PFM is a small non-profit organization where a “pitch-in” spirit is valued. Assistance on additional projects or tasks may be requested in addition to normal responsibilities.
Please send your résumé and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Market Events Coordinator Position.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the right candidate is selected.
Desired Start Date: 2/1/2023
Approximate Hours/Week: 25
This is an hourly position with opportunity for growth.
- Saturdays: 5:30am – 2:00pm (April-October); 7:30am – 3:00pm (November-March)
- Weekdays – communicate, coordinate, prepare for upcoming markets and special events (2-3 office days, 10-18 hrs)
- Special events outside of business hours as necessary
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Wage: $19.00-$21.00/hour depending on experience
The position is based in Prescott, Arizona. PFM employees accrue up to 80 hours of paid time off (PTO) annually and three paid holidays. PFM matches up to 3% of employees’ contributions to their SIMPLE IRA account.
Prescott Farmers Market is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its employment decisions. PFM is committed to equity and inclusiveness and values diversity in experience, ability, race, ethnicity, gender and sexual identities. People of Color, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ+ candidates are encouraged to apply.
Prescott Farmers Market is a fragrance-free, drug-free & tobacco-free work environment.