Food Assistance – SNAP
What Do You Know About SNAP?
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is here for you when you need help buying food.
SNAP is easy to use. Benefits are loaded monthly onto a card that works like a debit card.
You get to choose where to shop and what to buy. Plus, when you shop at Prescott Farmers Market and other Double Up Food Bucks locations, you can double your SNAP dollars to purchase AZ-grown fruits and vegetables.
SNAP is available for all Arizonans who qualify. Plus, you have already paid into the program with your tax dollars.
Many Arizonans that work use SNAP to help afford healthy food.
SNAP & Food Insecurity in Arizona/yavapai county
- Helps families purchase food.
- Reduces poverty.
- Helps to stabilize the economy.
- Generates $1.70 in economic activity.
Documents Needed to Apply for Nutrition Assistance
The Arizona Department of Economic Security (DES) may be able to determine your Nutrition Assistance (NA) or Cash Assistance benefits without conducting an interview if all mandatory factors are verified for your household.
DES uses all resources available to verify the required information. You can help your application be processed faster by providing the following verifications with your application:
- Proof of identity such as a driver’s license, passport, birth certificate, or state-issued identification.
- The following verification if it applies to your household:
- Proof of earned income received this month and last month for all applicants who are working.
- Proof of self-employment income. Provide all the income from the past 12 months unless your business has been operating for less than 12 months. If you have self-employment expenses, provide at least one receipt.
- Proof of unearned income received this month and last month such as social security, unemployment insurance, worker’s compensation, gifts, loans, child support, or Veterans Administration benefits.
- For applicants who are not U.S. Citizens: Proof of Lawful Permanent Residency such as your alien registration card.
Certain expenses are allowable for NA. Providing proof of expenses is not mandatory, but it may help you receive more benefits. If you want to receive the deduction, proof of the following is required if it applies to your household.
- Rent or mortgage obligation.
- Utility expenses such as electricity, garbage, gas, telephone, coal, or water.
- Childcare cost when you have someone else care for your child while you go to work. Provide a statement if you take your child to or from the provider’s location.
- Legal obligation and payment of court ordered child support.
- Proof of all medical expenses for those applying for benefits who are age 60 or older or receive disability benefits when the total amount for the household is more than $35.00.
- Proof of legal obligation and payments of court ordered child support paid this month and last month.
If you need help getting more food on the table, stop by the green Information Booth. We have new materials, resources, and information to share with our community. We can help you learn how to keep food on the table so you don’t have to choose between paying for food, rent, medicine, and other bills.
Alternatively, you can find more information online through the following links:
DES Office Locator: https://des.az.gov/find-your-local-office
USDA SNAP eligibility FAQs: https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/recipient/eligibility
SNAP application tips video: https://vimeo.com/509640654
SNAP pre-screening tool through Arizona Self-Help: https://www.arizonaselfhelp.org/prescreen/
Check on application status and manage benefits: https://myfamilybenefits.azdes.gov/authorization/login.aspx
Using SNAP to buy groceries online (currently Walmart, Amazon)
Application renewal: Nutrition Assistance requires a renewal to determine if there have been any changes to their current eligibility status. Renewal dates can range from three months to two years from the initial application date. Clients will be mailed a letter informing them that it is time to renew benefits. It is important for clients to report a change in mailing address to ensure they receive notification regarding their renewal.
We are here to help and support you. Ask us how we can connect you to community resources.