The Prescott Farmers Market seeks a part-time Market Manager to begin training in January 2016. The Prescott Farmers Market is a non-profit 501c3 organization whose mission is to support and foster local agriculture by providing a direct market for producers, providing consumers an opportunity to purchase locally produced agricultural goods, and educating the community about the importance of local agriculture. PFM hosts one year-round market in Prescott and a summer market in the neighboring town of Chino Valley.
PFM is looking for a passionate, professional individual to temporarily fill in for the Managing Director, 20-30 hours a week, while she is on maternity leave for six weeks beginning February 15. After six weeks, the Market Manager will continue to work an average of 20 hours per week to oversee all aspects of operating the Prescott and Chino Valley markets. The successful candidate will have a commitment to local food, managerial experience, familiarity with non-profit organizations and be confident, diplomatic, and professional in her/his duties.
Position Expectations: The Market Manager will work collaboratively with the Managing Director, Board of Directors, seasonal staff, and volunteers to accomplish the following:
- Respond to new vendor inquiries.
- Facilitate the vendor application process: update seasonal application, send to past and potential vendors, review applications based on Rules and Requirements. Send acceptance letters and vendor packets to ensure all vendors are prepared for the market.
Operate Weekly Markets
- Communicate with vendors to determine attendance, market layout.
- Set up and tear down weekly markets with support from assistant market managers and volunteers. This requires a commitment to working non-traditional hours including 5:00am Saturday mornings May through October for the Prescott Market, and Thursday evenings for the Chino Valley market, June through October.
- Run the Information Booth—answer questions, sell merchandise, credit card transactions, general customer service.
- Handle cash and tokens, enter data, create reports and make deposits.
Uphold Integrity of the Market
- Perform annual audits of processed food and craft vendors.
- Visit farms to ensure that crops grown match the crop plan submitted with application and crops being sold at the market.
- Increase public awareness and attendance at all markets using social media, press releases, distribution of postcards and flyers etc.
- Explore unused channels of advertising.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Basic math and money handling skills
- Basic office and computer skills (Word, Excel) with ability to manage Gmail and WordPress accounts
- Familiarity with social media campaigns (Facebook, Instagram, Mailchimp, twitter etc.)
- Knowledge of and experience working in local food communities, with small-scale farmers or similar local food organizations (regardless of region), with a working knowledge of local/regional food
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and have a valid driver’s license
- Well developed interpersonal skills including a confident attitude, diplomacy skills, and problem-solving capabilities
- Volunteer recruitment and/or management experience
Prescott Farmers Market is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its employment decisions. People of color, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply.
The Market Manager position starts at $12.00 per hour. Benefits include an annual stipend to supplement costs for health insurance purchased through the marketplace. The position is based in Prescott, Arizona and surrounding communities. A partial work-from-home situation may be possible depending on the candidate and activities determined by the Managing Director and Board of Directors.
To apply, send a resume, letter of interest and three references to email@example.com with the subject line “Market Manager Position.” Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis throughout December and into January if needed. Preferred start date is January 15, 2016.