Who’s ready for National Farmers Market Week? The annual event celebrating the important role farmers markets play in the nation’s food system kicks off August 5th, 2018. Here are 5 ways customers can not only help make this year’s celebration, the biggest and best yet, but support farmers markets all year long!
- Visit your local farmers market – obviously! Meet a friend, take your family, or just spend a relaxing day by yourself taking in the fun and festivities. We are offering 3 markets to help you get involved:
- We’re hosting a special pop-up market on Wednesday August 8 at Coyote Springs Elementary School in Prescott Valley from 2-5pm. RSVP here!
- We’re open in Chino Valley on Thursday, August 9 at Olsen’s Grain, 3-6pm.
- We’re open in Prescott on Saturday, August 11 at Yavapai College, 7:30-noon.
- Support the farmers! Did you know farmers receive only 15 cents of every food dollar that shoppers spend at traditional food retail outlets, like grocery stores? But when you shop at a farmers market, 100% of your food dollar goes directly to the farmer. So be sure to buy some farm-fresh food when you visit. Your support is particularly important to new and young farmers, who rely on farmers markets to grow their business.
- Become a volunteer! It takes a lot of work (both on market day and behind-the-scenes) to operate a farmers market, with limited staff and a tight nonprofit budget. Reach out to us and find out how you can help.
- Spread the word! Tell your friends and family why you love farmers markets, and encourage them to become regular shoppers. Become an influencer for local agriculture; share your market’s social media posts (follow us on Instagram and Facebook), or create some of your own and tag them with #PFMloot so we can re-share them!
- Join the fun! Enter Farmers Market Coalition’s #LoveMyMarket Instagram Contest and show us why you love your market (contest kicks off August 1). Use the hashtag #farmersmarketweek August 5-11, and #lovemymarket throughout the month of August. Help us get these hashtags trending!
This content is being gratefully re-shared from Farmers Market Coalition.